The great American writer Ann Tyler appearing on Woman’s Hour recently said “we are all enduring something” and who can’t relate to that?
Some days it can take me three hours to turn around my mood from floor to soar. At the start of the day it sometimes seems an impossibility. Then after some deep work I am swanning, floating and coping. But oh the woe is weighty, the body heavy and the shoulder doesn’t want to meet the boulder of the day ahead. The duvet seems a good retreat but it’s not an option. So what do we need to know when dread is ahead and the mood is lower than a dachshund’s tum?
The most important thing is remember this situation is temporary. Even though it feels like it’s tattooed on the soul after some night you wished to forget if you could only remember it in the first place. Moods are mutable and moveable and things can and will get better.
- Journaling – even if you don’t know what to write jot down how you are feeling to name and tame those negative emotions. Draw a picture of them.
- Write down things you are truly grateful for. Keep a blessings book.
- When we are in sadness we are looking backwards. When we are anxious we are looking forwards. Be in the NOW. There is peace in the now. Let it be and settle into the day.
- Put your trust in something higher. God, Spirit, The Universe, Natural Rhythms, Gaia, a Greater Conscience that has your back, is dealing with your pain (a sort of Cosmic Customer Services) and is working it all out for the best for you. Trust it.
- Be patient. Patience is a super power and delivers its own answers.
- Most of us are going through it. It does pass.
- You don’t always have to take action. Let things unfold.
- Be super gentle with yourself. Avoid “barbs” – annoying people/ stressful situations and find a safe place to relax and retreat.
- Do a nice deed for someone then enjoy the karmic kickback.
- Day dream about the things that really light you up and take one step towards it. Repeat often.
- You have everything within you to have the love, success and health you desire. You are MORE than good enough
- Remember the tide will roll in, hit the rocks and roll out again. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming 🙂
- You are not alone
To book a free 30 minute consultation with me book here. It might just change your life!