Are we there yet? If not why not?
Why is it taking so long?
The “it” is the life that happens between now and the things you want to happen.
Can you jump this queue or push in?
Pay someone to fast track you to over there where the good stuff is, where the answers lie and peace of mind is more delicious than an espresso martini downed in one. Well, almost.
What are you waiting for?
Are you sitting in the waiting room of life?
We are all waiting for something; the phone to ring, someone to notice your genius, the book to write itself, to feel well again, to get to a target weight, for this to be over.
How to acquire patience is something we often still have to learn as adults.
We might even feel victimized by our impatience.
Why do I need to wait? Why can’t I know now? Why is it taking so long? What is the meaning? What if I never get what I want even though I invested time in the wait? What will become of me?
Cue existential wail.
So, if you are living in expectation of something portentous or troublesome, here are a few coaching tips to learn how to acquire patience.
Help ease the journey from the waiting room of misery to the magic of wise unfolding and yielding.
- Find things to relish in the now. Even the smallest things. Don’t put happiness on hold.
- Try to let go of the need to control and know/plan everything. We can’t nor should we try – we are psychic architects.
- Ask yourself “will I be OK with whatever happens?” if the answer is yes you can let go of the anxiety.
- Let go of the need for perfection.
- Know that it will all become clear one day and trust the process that it all works out in the end.
- Keep a journal of what you are learning in the waiting. It will be valuable in retrospect and for future use.
- Raise a white flag and surrender.