Who is your guru du jour? Are you, quite literally, hot foot from a £5000 Robbins fire walking challenge in Oz? Has it stood you in good stead to deal with the drudgery of the every day; the killer commute, psycho boss, stubborn waist wadge?
Have you tried Oprah and Deepak’s meditation for a more abundant life or steered by starlight with Martha Beck? Did it rock your life? More like a minor shudder? Me too. I know, I’ve been there and dipped my cranial crudite in to these delicious offers too.
Many of us are seeking answers. The secret you seek to everlasting joy and understanding could very well be found in a personal development book or a weekend spent scouring your soul with Epsom salts and algae smoothies.
The thing is all of it works and, here’s the rub, none of it works.
It’s what lands with you that day and gets a bit of movement and change going. There are gurus galore and, between you and me, I’m no slouch when it comes to this life change stuff I can exclusively reveal. I’m not self sabotaging my success here in case you’re wondering.
But there is ONE secret to all this understanding of life, happiness and riches galore the better-life Brahman and gnomes of knowledge rarely tell you. You may be seeking a salve for your vice-like need to control, a quick fix for karmic contentment or a “just add water” wafer of absolution with a room full of fellow high-fivers or Om-mitters but the bad news is you wont find it there. Well not the whole deal anyway. If you want to re-calibrate your psychic and spiritual satnav there’s no need to book early for a gig at O2 or burn your soles while soul searching; you just need to look inwards.
I know, bit of a tah-dah let down wasn’t it?
All the pain, avoidance and fear we experience as part of our human condition can be eased and aided by folk like us, coaches and teachers who can support you and help you get perspective and clarity. The real answer however is already within you.
Coaches and the like can help look at the “why” and give you tips on the most important “how” and hopefully get you to the “who” which is where you come in. There are a million recipes for success and happiness none of it will work until you do some internal journeying and line up the fresh ingredients to make it happen.
- Get that if you want joy every day you have to find joy in the everyday. That means creatively seeking the beauty, relishing the imperfect and finding gratitude in small things.
- Notice the infinite beauty of nature – seeing your breath on a cold day, birdsong, frosted grass or the smell of autumn.
- Realign you life around your values. Know your values and when you find certain things effortless and right. Choose to align your values with your vision for your life. (I have a great tool I use with clients to establish values. Let me know if you’d like to see it.)
- What gives you a sense of purpose? Being of service to others? Creative writing? Making someone laugh. Do it more.
- Let go of perfectionism. It’s a cover up for not feeling good enough. Progress licks perfectionism.
- Try action instead of overthinking.
- Get that everything you need to have joy and success is 100% within you. Nothing is missing.
- Say this over and over – I am more than good enough.
- Trust yourself a lot more than you are currently doing.
- Start the most exciting journey of your life by using a coach.
To book a 30 minute trial session with me click here.